With 2019 just around the corner, it’s time to get planning
By Kerren Morris, National Strategy Director
Hey, did you hear that? It’s your alarm bell going off. It’s November… already!
That time of the year when your festive campaigns are locked in (well, mostly), the survey is under way and you’ve sorted out your March appeal. But before you start thinking about your summer holiday, there’s ONE more thing to do.
Just think about it. Wouldn’t it be great if, next year, you could work out your budget in line with a 1,3 and 5-year strategic plan, rather than simply letting budget limitations determine your fate?
And plans that weren’t just about money, but engaging supporters too. Connecting emotionally with them for the long run.
If that sounds good, here are a few pointers to get you rolling:
1. Draft a strategic planning timeline allowing for thinking, research, meetings and number crunching
2. Determine your organisational vision, mission and goals
3. Schedule a Benchmarking refresh so you can determine where you sit compared to the rest of the sector
4. Run a 5-year forecast.
5. Hold a SWOT workshop and identify key opportunities for each fundraising program
6. Map out the priorities and the staging of the work.
7. Write the strategy into a one-pager to share with the team
8. Present to your senior leadership team and seek input
9. Schedule quarterly reviews to check progress against the plans
10. Be in a position of strength when it comes to drafting the first set of budget numbers
Should you be thinking, “I don’t have time for all that!”, think about this:
At Pareto, we do have the time to help you achieve your goals. And the numbers, and experience.
Our team can make simple sense of the above just as they have for many clients before you. They’ll help you develop a long-term view so that you can leverage opportunities rather than constantly be reacting to problems. And all while letting you get back to planning that Christmas break.
Now, back to that summer holiday planning!